Упражнения 5. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времен: Present Continuous, Present Simple, Past Simple или Future Simple
Преобразуйте прямую речь в косвенную.
1. He says, “You are right.”
2. She says to him, “I have a right to know.”
3. We said to them, “We have no money.”
4. He said, “I have changed my opinion.”
5. He said, “I will bring you a book tomorrow”.
6. They said, “We were in the USA the day before yesterday”.
7. He asked her, “Do you speak English?”
8. I asked them, “Have you been to Africa?”
9. He asked us, “What are your names?”
10. She said to me, “Don’t talk to me”.
Упражнения 3. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времен: Present Continuous, Present Simple, Past Simple или Future Simple.
1. Mother (to cook) a very tasty dinner yesterday. 2. Tomorrow Nick (not to go) to school. 3. Look! My friends (to play) football. 4, Kate (not to write) letters every day. 5. You (to see) your friend yesterday? 6. Your father (to go) on a business trip last month? 7. What Nick (to do) yesterday? 8. When Nick (to get) up every morning? 9. Where your mother (to go) tomorrow? 10. I (to invite) my friends to come to my place tomorrow. 11. He (not to play) the piano tomorrow. 12. We (to see) a very good film last Sunday. 13. Your mother (to cook) every day? 14. We (to make) a fire last summer. 15. I (to spend) last summer at the seaside. 16. Where you (to spend) last summer? 17. Where he (to spend) next summer? 18. What mother (to do) now? — She (to cook) dinner. 19. I (not to play) computer games yesterday. 20. Last Sunday we (to go) to the theatre. 21. I (to meet) my friend yesterday. 22. I (to write) a letter to my cousin yesterday. 23. You (to write) a dictation tomorrow? 24. I (not to write) a report now.
Упражнения 4. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времен: Present Continuous, Present Simple, Past Simple или Future Simple.
1. We (to go) on a tramp last Sunday. 2. Your brother (to go) to the country with us next Sunday? 3. Granny (not to cook) dinner now. 4. We (to cook) our meals on a fire last summer. 5. My sister (to wash) the dishes every morning. 6. When you (to go)to school? 7. What you (to prepare) for breakfast tomorrow? 8. You (to invite) your cousin to stay with you next summer? 9. How you (to help) your sister last summer? 10. I (to send) a letter to my friend tomorrow. 11. Every morning on the way to school I (to meet) my friends. 12. My friend (to go) to the library every Wednesday. 13. He (not to go) to the country yesterday. 14. Why you (to go) to the shop yesterday? 15. We (to grow) tomatoes next summer. 16. What you (to do) now? 17. He (to sleep) now. 18. Where your father (to work) last year? 19. You (to go) to the south next summer! 20. He (not to watch) TV yesterday. 21. Yesterday we (to write) a test-paper. 22. 1 (to buy) a very good book last Tuesday. 23. My granny (not to buy) bread yesterday. 24. What you (to buy) at the shop tomorrow? 25. Don't make noise! Father(to work).
Упражнения 5. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в одном из следующих времен: Present Continuous, Present Simple, Past Simple или Future Simple.
1. Various kinds of sports (to be) popular in England. 2. Both children and grown-ups (to be) fond of sports. 3. What (to be) the matter with her? She (to be) so excited. - I (not to know). 4. Where you (to go)? - - I (to go) to the to see the match which (to take) place there today. 5. You (to know) that a very interesting match (to take) place last Sunday? 6. He (to go) to the south a week ago. 7. When I (to be) about fifteen years old, I (to enjoy) playing football. 8. Our football team (to win) many games last year. 9. Where (to be) Barry? - He (to play) chess with his friend. 10. 1 (to be) sorry I (to miss) the match yesterday. But I (to know) the score. It (to be) 4 to 2 in favour of the NTP team. 11. Nellie (to leave) for Jacksonville tomorrow.12. I (to be) in a hurry. My friends (to wait) for me. 13. You (to be) at the theatre yesterday. You (to like) the opera? — Oh yes, I (to enjoy) it greatly. 14. You (to go) to London next summer?
Ответы - Упражнение 3
1. Mother cooked a very tasty dinner yesterday. 2. Tomorrow Nick won’t go to school. 3. Look! My friends are playing football. 4. Kate does not write letters every day. 5. Did you see your friend yesterday? 6. Did your father go on a business trip last month? 7. What did Nick do yesterday? 8. When does Nick get up every morning? 9. Where will your mother go tomorrow? 10. I will invite my friends to come to my place tomorrow. 11. He won’t play the piano tomorrow. 12. We saw a very good film last Sunday. 13. Does your mother cook every day? 14. We made a fire last summer. 15. I spent last summer at the seaside. 16. Where did you spend last summer? 17. Where will he spend next summer? 18. What is mother doing now? — She is cooking dinner. 19. I did not play computer games yesterday. 20. Last Sunday we went to the theatre. 21. I met my friend yesterday. 22. I wrote a letter to my cousin yesterday. 23. Will you write a dictation tomorrow? 24. I am not writing a report now.
Ответы - Упражнение 4
1. We went on a tramp last Sunday. 2. Will your brother go to the country with us next Sunday? 3. Granny isn’t cooking dinner now. 4. We cooked our meals on a fire last summer. 5. My sister washes the dishes every morning. 6. When do you goto school? 7. What will you prepare for breakfast tomorrow? 8. Will you invite your cousin to stay with you next summer? 9. How did you help your sister last summer? 10. I will send a letter to my friend tomorrow. 11. Every morning on the way to school I meet my friends. 12. My friend goes to the library every Wednesday. 13. He did not go to the country yesterday. 14. Why did you go to the shop yesterday? 15. We will grow tomatoes next summer. 16. What are you doing now? 17. He is sleeping now. 18. Where did your father work last year? 19. Will you go to the south next summer? 20. He did not watch TV yesterday. 21. Yesterday we wrote a test-paper. 22. I bought a very good book last Tuesday. 23. My granny did not buy bread yesterday. 24. What will you buy at the shop tomorrow? 25. Don't make noise! Father is working.
Ответы - Упражнение 5
1. Various kinds of sports are popular in England. 2. Both children and grown-ups are fond of sports. 3. What is the matter with her? She is so excited. - I do not know. 4. Where are you going? - I am going to the stadium to see the match which will take place there today. 5. Do you know that a very interesting match took place last Sunday? 6. He went to the south a week ago. 7. When I was about fifteen years old, I enjoyed playing football. 8. Our football team won many games last year. 9. Where is Ben? - He is playing chess with his friend. 10. I am sorry I missed the match yesterday. But I know the score. It is 4 to 2 in favour of the NTP team. 11. Nellie will leave for Jacksonville tomorrow.12. I am in a hurry. My friends are waiting for me. 13. You were at the theatre yesterday. Did you like the opera? — Oh yes, I enjoyed it greatly. 14. Will you go to London next summer?
Упражнение 1. Join the two parts of sentences.
Упражнение 3. Put the following sentences into the correct tense: Simple Past, Simple Present, Present Continuous or Past Continuous, Present Perfect.
1. I ________ (listen) to the radio while Mary __________ (cook) dinner.
2. You __________ (buy) this book yesterday?
3. Last Friday Jill __________ (go) home early because she __________ (want) to see a film.
4. When your brother usually __________ (get) home in the evening?
5. Jane always __________ (bring) us a nice present.
6. What those people __________ (do) in the middle of the road?
7. You __________ (read) this book?
8. While Fred __________ (sleep), Judy __________ (watch) TV.
9. When I __________ (be) young, I __________ (think) Mary __________ (be) nice — but now I __________ (think) she’s fantastic.
10. Jill __________ (walk) home when she __________ (see) her husband’s car outside the cinema
11. Look there! Sue and Tim __________ (run) to school.
12. Jack’s father __________ (not work) in London — he __________ (not speak) English.
13. Joe __________ (buy) a car yesterday.
14. Their father often __________ (go) to rock concerts.
15. While you __________ (sleep), mother __________ (arrive).
Упражнение 4. Исправьте ошибки.
1. When she was younger, she has played tennis every day.
2. It’s already 10:00, but Jane hasn’t finished her homework already.
3. Joe crashed his car three times since Christmas.
4. Did you done your homework, or have you been watching TV?
5. Karl has been driving since five years.
6. This hotel has been already in business for twenty years.
Упражнение 5. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense form (Present Simple, Present Perfect, Present Continuous, Past Simple, Past Continuous).
1. Alice ... (not to take) the bus to school every day. She usually ... (to walk) to school...
2. (to take) … you the bus to get to school or ... (to walk) you?
3. Who is this man? I ... (to think) that I ... (to know) him, but I ... (to forget) his name.
4. The children ... (to have) a good time in the park yesterday. They ... (to give) small pieces of bread to the ducks. Then they ... (to take) pictures of themselves.
5. Where are the children? They ... (to watch) TV in the room now. Some minutes ago they ... (to play) a game.
6. Now I am in my class. I... (to sit) at my desk. I always ... (to sit) at the same desk.
Упражнение 6. Раскройте скобки употребляя глаголы в Present Simple, Future Simple, Present Continuous или поставьте конструкцию to be going + to inf.
1. When you_____ (know) your examination results?
2. Kathy_____ (travel) to Caracas next month to attend a conference.
3. Do you have any plans for lunch today? — I _____ (meet) Shannon at the Sham Cafe in an hour. Do you want to join us?
4. I ____ (buy) a bicycle for my son for his birthday next month. Do you know anything about bikes for kids? — Sure. What do you want to know?
5. How do you like your new job? — I don’t start it until tomorrow. I_____ (give) you an answer next week.
6. I suppose he_____ (talk) about his new invention.
7. Why are you packing your suitcase? — I_____ (leave) for Los Angeles in a couple of hours.
8. My regular doctor, Dr. Jordan, _____ (attend) a conference in Las Vegas next week, so I hope I _____ (meet) her partner, Dr. Peterson, when I _____ (go) for my appointment next Friday.
9. What time class _____ (begin) tomorrow morning? — It_____ (begin) at eight o’clock sharp.
10. The coffee shop _____ (open) at seven o’clock tomorrow morning. I’ll meet you there at 7:15. — Okay. I’ll be there.
Упражнение 7. Раскройте скобки употребляя глаголы в Future Continuous, Present Continuous, Future Simple или поставьте конструкцию to be going + to inf.
1. At 5 o’clock tomorrow he _______ (work).
2. He can’t come at noon tomorrow because he _______ (give) a lesson at that time.
3. She_______ (read) an interesting book the whole evening tomorrow.
4. At 10 o’clock tomorrow morning he_______ (talk) to his friend.
5. You will recognize her when you see her. She_______ (wear) a yellow hat.
6. He_______ (have a party) on Saturday 4th December in London at 10 pm.
7. In the next days you _______ (visit) famous sights.
8. Jeanne and Paul_______ (move) to London next month.
9. Leave the washing up. -I _______ (do) it later.
10. This time tomorrow I _______ (lie) on the beach.
11. Look out! You _______ (spill) your tea!
Упражнение 8. Упражнение раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Continuous, Present Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous, Past Simple.
1. Aren’t you about to finish with the dishes? You _______ (wash) the dishes for thirty minutes or more. How long can it take you to wash the dishes?
2. We _______ (go) to the Steak House restaurant many times. The food is excellent.
3. A: What is that sound? B: A car alarm _______ (ring) somewhere down the street. It _______ (drive) me crazy —I wish it would stop! It _______ (ring) for more than twenty minutes.
4. Can you translate this note from Stockholm? I understood Swedish when I _______ (be) a child, but I _______ (forget) it all.
5. What’s that dent in the side of the car? You _______ (have) an accident?
6. I’m sorry, John’s not here; he _______ (go) to the dentist. He _______ (have) trouble with a tooth for some time.
7. This cassette recorder is broken. You _______ (play) about with it?
8. Your Italian is very good. You _______ (study) it long?
9. Do you mind if I clear the table? You _______ (have) enough to eat?
10. Ann never _______ (go) camping. She _______ (not sleep) in a tent.
11. Frank, where have you been? We _______ (wait) for you since 1 p.m.
12. I’m not surprised he _______ (fail) that exam. He _______ (not / work) hard recently.
Упражнение 9. Pаскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Perfect, Past Simple или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. Oh no! The children _______ (cook). Look at the state of this kitchen!
2. How many times Wendy _______ (be) late for work this week?
3. I’m going to give that cat some food. It _______ (sit) on the doorstep for hours. I’m sure it’s starving.
4. I _______ (do) grammar exercises all morning. I deserve a treat for lunch.
5. You _______ (not / buy) your mother a present? That’s really mean of you.
6. She _______ (work) in Australia for 2 years. Then she moved.
7. Now where are my keys? This is the third time I _______ (lose) them today
8. You _______ (ever/play) chess? You should try it. I’m sure it’s the sort that you’d like.
9. Oh do be quiet. You _______ (grumble) all day!
10. Your tennis _______ (really / improve)! You _______ (practice) in secret?
Упражнение 10.Подчеркните правильно выбранное время.
1. I am writing in connection with the advertisement which appeared / has appeared on 12 April.
2. I originally studied/ have studied chemistry at university. I graduated / have been graduating with a first-class degree.
3. I now completed / have now completed a postgraduate degree in administration.
4. I’ve been trying / I’ve tried to find a permanent job for a considerable time.
5. Indeed, I have already worked /I have already been working for several companies on a temporary basis.
6. In my first job, I was / have been responsible for marketing,
7. I’ve been applying / have applied for several posts this year but I did not manage / have not managed to find what I’m looking for.
8. The last job I applied / have applied for required applicants to speak some Japanese,
9. I started learning / have been learning Spanish a few months ago I did not obtain / have not obtained a qualification in it yet.
10. I did not apply / have not applied for a job with your company before.
11. I hoped / have hoped that you would consider my application favourably.
12. However, I have been waiting/ have waited for a reply for weeks and I still have not received / did not receive any answer.
Упражнение 11.Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Present Perfect, Past Simple или Present Perfect Continuous.
1. Today is Thursday, and John ________ (be) late twice this week; he________ (be) late yesterday and on Monday.
2. I first________ (meet) George a month ago, and I ________ (meet) him several times since then.
3. It is October now, and we ________ (do) a lot of work this year; we ________ (do) a lot last year too.
4. She ________ (buy) a coat last winter, but she________ (not / buy) a new dress since 2008.
5. It’s only the middle of the month, and he________ (spend) (already) most of his salary; he ________ (spend) $60 yesterday,
6. I ________ (break) my leg in 1991, but I ________ (break) (never) my arm.
7. He’s over sixty, and he’s still working. He ________ (work) hard all his life. When he ________ (be) a young man, he sometimes ________ (work) all night.
8. The postman ________ (come) at eight yesterday, but it’s now half past eight and he ________ (not / come) yet.
9. Today is May 25th. Ted ________ (not / be) absent this month.
10. He ________ (feel) extremely ill when he went to hospital, but he ________ (feel) much better since he came out of hospital a month ago.
1 – a, 2 – c, 3 – b, 4 – f,5 – d, 6 – e.
1 Present Simple/indefinite, 2 Past Simple/Indefinite, 3 Present Simple/indefinite, 4 Present Continuous/Progressive, 5 Past Simple/Indefinite, 6 Past Continuous/Progressive, 7 Future Simple / Indefinite, 8 Past Simple/Indefinite
1 was listening / was cooking, 2 did you buy, 3 went / wanted, 4 does your brother usually get, 5 brings, 6 are people doing, 7 have you read, 8 was sleeping / was watching, 9 was /thought / think, 10 was walking / saw, 11 are running, 12 doesn’t work / doesn’t speak, 13 bought, 14 goes, 15 were sleeping / arrived.
1 has played ->played, 2 already -> yet, 3 crashed -> has crashed, 4 Did ->have, 5 since -> for, 6 has been already -> has already been
1 doesn’t take /walks, 2 Do you take / Do you walk, 3 think / know /have forgotten, 4 had / gave /took, 5 are watching / were playing, 6 am sitting / sit
1 will you know, 2 is travelling, 3 am meeting, 4 am going to buy, 5 will give, 6 is going to talk, 7 am leaving, 8 is attending / will meet /go, 9 does class begin / begins, 10 opens.
1 will be working, 2 will be giving, 3 will be reading, 4 will be talking, 5 will be wearing, 6 will be having / is having, 7 will visit, 8 are moving, 9 will do, 10 will be lying, 11 will spill
1 have been washing, 2 have gone, 3 is ringing/ is driving /has been ringing, 4 was /have forgotten, 5 have you had, 6 has gone / has had, 7 have you played, 8 have you been studying, 9 have you had, 10 has never gone / has never slept, 11 have been waiting, 12 has failed, hasn’t been working
1 have been cooking, 2 has Wendy been, 3 has been sitting, 4 have been doing, 5 haven’t you bought, 6 worked, 7 have lost, 8 have you ever played, 9 have been grumbling, 10 has really improved, have you practiced
1 appeared, 2 studied / graduated, 3 have now completed, 4 I’ve been trying, 5 have already worked, 6 was, 7 have applied / have not managed, 8 applied, 9 started learning/ have not obtained, 10 have not applied, 11 have hoped, 12 have been waiting/ have not received
1 has been / was, 2 met /have met, 3 have done / did, 4 bought / hasn’t bought, 5 has already spent / spent, 6 broke / have never broken, 7 has been working hard / was / worked, 8 came / hasn’t come, 9 hasn’t been, 10 felt / has felt