Составьте аннотацию к тексту (2 - 3 предложения). Составьте реферат текста (10 - 15 предложений)
Составьте реферат текста (10 - 15 предложений).
Составьте план текста и перескажите текст.
ВАРИАНТ № 5
Прочитайте и переведите тексты
JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
James Clerk Maxwell, the great physicist and mathematician, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, on November 13, 1831.
After school he entered the University of that city. Then he attended the University of Cambridge and graduated from it in 1854. When at the University Maxwell took great interest in mathematics and optics.
For two years after the University he lectured, made experiments in optics at Trinity College and studied much himself.
In 1856 he became professor of natural philosophy and in 1860 professor of physics and astronomy at King's College, London. In London he lived for five years. Here he saw Faraday for the first time.
In 1871 Maxwell became professor of experimental physics at Cambridge. At that time students could not even have such subjects as electricity or magnetism as there was no laboratory for the study of these subjects. Maxwell organized such a laboratory which made Cambridge world-known.
This was a very fruitful period of Maxwell's life. He studied the problems of electromagnetism, molecular physics, optics, mechanics and others.
Maxwell wrote his first scientific work when he was fifteen. Since that time he wrote a great number of works which were the results of his experiments and calculations.
His most outstanding investigations, however, are in the field of the kinetic theory of gases and electricity. Maxwell is the founder of the electromagnetic field (side by side with Faraday) and the electromagnetic theory.
Gravitation is a very important force in the universe. Every object has a gravitational pull which is like magnetism. But, unlike magnetism, gravitation is not only in iron and steel. It is in every object large or small; but large objects, such as earth, have a stronger pull than small ones.
Isaac Newton, the great scientist of the seventeenth century, first studied gravitation. When he was a boy, he often saw how apples fell to the ground. He wondered why they fell towards the earth and why they did not fly up into the sky.
According to the law which he later produced everything in the universe attracts everything else towards itself. The sun attracts the earth and the earth attracts the sun. The earth attracts the moon and the moon attracts the sun. Although the bigger object has the stronger attraction, all objects, in fact, have some attraction too but we do not notice the gravitational pull of a book because the pull of the earth is very much greater.
Why does the earth always move round the sun, and not fly off into cold space? The sun's gravitation gives the answer. The earth always tries to move away in a straight line, but the sun always pulls it back. So it continues on its journey round and round the sun.
The sun is one of the stars in the galaxy, in which there are about 100,000 million stars. It is not in the middle of the galaxy, but rather near one edge.
There are millions of galaxies in the universe and so there are thousands of millions of millions of suns. Many astronomers believe that some of these suns have planets as our sun does.
Gravitation is the force which holds all the atoms of a star together. It holds the sun together and it holds the atoms of the earth together. It holds us on the earth.
Einstein produced a new law of gravitation. Its main results are the same as the results of Newton's law; but in very small and fine matters Einstein's law gives different results. One of these is that gravitation bends light a little; but according to Newton's law gravitation has very little effect on light. Einstein showed this fact by means of mathematics and not by experiment. And astronomers later proved by experiments that Einstein was right.
2 Переведите на русский язык следующие английские словосочетания:
1) the great physicist and 6) a stronger pull;
mathematician; 7) a great number of works;
2) took great interest in; 8) outstanding
3) professor of natural philosophy; investigations;
4) professor of experimental physics; 9) a very important force;
5) a very fruitful period; 10) fly up into the sky.
3 Найдите в тексте английские эквиваленты следующих словосочетаний:
1) согласно закону; 6) миллионы галактик;
2) солнце притягивает землю; 7) его главные результаты;
3) тяга земли; 8) новый закон гравитации;
4) солнечная гравитация; 9) различные результаты;
5) по прямой линии; 10) посредством математики.
4 Найдите в тексте слова, имеющие общий корень с данными словами. Определите, к какой части речи они относятся, и переведите их на русский язык:
Physics, mathematics, lecture, experiment, know, fruit, science, seven, attract, show.
5 Задайте к, выделенному в тексте, предложению все типы вопросов: общий, альтернативный, разделительный, два специальных: а) к подлежащему, б) к любому члену предложения.
6 Выполните анализ данных предложений, обратив внимание на следующие грамматические явления: числительные; времена группы Continuous (Present, Past, Future Active & Passive); усилительная конструкция; времена группы Perfect (Present, Past, Future Active & Passive); функции глаголов to be, to have; согласование времен; неопределенные местоимения some, any, no и их производные:
1) Then he attended the University of Cambridge and graduated from it in 1854.
2) At that time students could not even have such subjects as electricity or magnetism as there was no laboratory for the study of these subjects.
3) His most outstanding investigations, however, are in the field of the kinetic theory of gases and electricity.
4) It is in every object large or small; but large objects, such as earth, have a stronger pull than small ones.
5) Although the bigger object has the stronger attraction, all objects, in fact, have some attraction too but we do not notice the gravitational pull of a book because the pull of the earth is very much greater.
6) It was said that gravitation was the force which held all the atoms of a star together.
7 Ответьте на вопросы по тексту:
1) Where was James Clerk Maxwell, the great physicist and mathematician, born?
2) What University did Clerk Maxwell enter after school?
3) What did he do for two years after the University?
4) When did he become a professor?
5) What did Maxwell organize?
6) What problems did he study?
7) What is gravitation?