VII. Найдите в тексте следующие слова и словосочетания, выпишите их и выучите
I. Спишите предложения, подчеркните сказуемое и определите его видо-временную форму. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) I hope you will have done this work by the end of this week.
2) By 3 p.m. yesterday he had been reading this article for an hour.
3) She will have been writing a composition for half an hour when you come.
4) For many years my friend has dreamed of becoming an engineer.
5) Many young people have entered the institutes this year.
II. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Поставьте предложения в прошедшее и будущее время, используя соответствующую форму модального глагола или его эквивалент.
1) You can easily do this work.
2) They may find all the necessary materials in the library.
3) We must solve a number of scientific problems.
III. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Подчеркните модальный глагол или его эквивалент.
1) You may use this method in your research.
2) All of you should be in time for classes.
3) Our scientific laboratory have to launch a new programme this year.
4) He ought to do this task at once.
5) Nobody was able to translate this text.
IV. Спишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на независимый причастный оборот. Подчеркните причастие.
1) Several remarkable Russian scientists made a great contribution to the science,
Yablochkov and Lodygin being the best known to everyone.
2) The explanation having been given, the students could start their work.
3) The examinations having been over, he left for his native town.
4) These articles being of great value for my project, I had to read them once more.
5) The translation having been written, the student handed it to the teacher.
V. Перепишите текст и переведите его на русский язык.
HIGHER EDUCATION IN THE US.
1) There is no unified system of higher education in the United States. 2) In the USA there is no consistent distinction between the term “college” and “university”. 3) The general tendency is to call a college a higher educational institution offering mainly courses of instruction leading to the Bachelor’s degree; a university is a college or group of colleges or departments under one control offering courses of instructions leading not only to the Bachelor’s degree but also to the Master’s and the Doctor’s degrees. 4) The term “college” is also sometimes loosely applied to institutions which are actually only secondary schools .
5) The oldest American universities of Harvard, Yale, Pennsylvania, Princeton and Columbia were founded in the 17th and 18th centuries. 6) From the 19th century natural sciences began to occupy more and more place in the curriculum. 7) Professors of different departments were often educated in Europe. 8) A radical turn took place in the middle of the 20th century. 9) The scientific revolution had some effect on the secondary schools, but it was the American higher education institutions which were most seriously affected by it, both in quality and in quantity.
10) Now almost 10 million students study in American higher education institutions. 11) American universities have also become research centres. 12) It is characteristic that their curricula have expanded; for instance, psychology, sociology and other humanities are now being taught in technical and natural science higher education institutions and in humanitarian ones more attention is paid to mathematics.
13) American universities and colleges and also higher education institutions of different levels, which sometimes comprise a university, are only partially funded by the state government. 14) Universities also obtain funds from federal state organization and large companies for research work. 15) The tuition fee in American higher education institutions is high and still growing, being a heavy burden for a family. 16) Consequently many American students have to work part time, especially on holidays.
VI. Расположите предложения по порядку согласно содержанию текста.
1)A radical turn in the system of higher education in America took place in the middle of
the 20th century.
2)To send young people to a university is a heavy burden for a family.
3)American universities offer courses of instruction leading to the Master’s and the
4)The curricula of the universities have been expanded.
VII. Найдите в тексте следующие слова и словосочетания, выпишите их и выучите.