Exercise 6. Ask your friend all possible questions to the following sentences
1.They will attend experimental shops next month.
2. I’m sure he will be a good specialist in future.
3. The students will have a good time together at the weekend.
4. The classes will end at about 4 o’clock p.m.
5. Ann will be good at languages soon.
6. We shall look in and see him next week.
The Indefinite Tense (Review)
Exercise 1.Put these sentences into Past and Future Indefinite adding adverbial modifiers of time as in the model:
1. Peter works in the library.
2. I attend lectures and seminars.
3. The student goes to the lab to prepare for his practical classes.
4. Classes begin at 8 o’clock.
5. I take part in social activities.
6. My friend goes in for sport.
7. She lives far from the University.
8. We go to the student’s canteen.
Exercise 2. Make all the sentences of ex. 1 interrogative and negative.
Exercise 3.Put the verbs given in brackets in the corresponding tense form.
1. He usually (to walk) home after lesson.
2. They (to go) to the theatre on Sunday,
3. Your parents (to work) at the University two years ago.
4. Yesterday Nick (to send) a telegram to his friend.
5. Our teacher (to explain) a new material at the next lesson.
6. My group-mate (to live) at the hostel.
Exercise 4. Say it in English.
1. Я закінчив школу в ... і вирішив поступати до ХДТУ.
2. В школі мені подобалися математика і англійська мова.
3. Я не знав, що вибрати.
4. Він живе в гуртожитку.
5. Я не тільки вчуся, але і займаюся спортом.
6. Я буду гарним спеціалістом, тому що вчуся добре.
7. Моя подруга не пропускає лекції.
8. Він не буде вчителем, він стане інженером.
9. Коли студенти складають іспити?
10.Чому вона пропустила практичні заняття на минулому тижні?
III. Reading and comprehension
Look through Text A. be ready to answer the following questions:
1.Do you work or study?
2. Where do you study?
3. You became a first year student, didn’t you?
4. Did you pass all your exams successfully?
5. Did your lessons begin at 8 o’clock or at 9 o’clock?
6. You live far from the University ,don’t you?
7. What subjects do you have at the University?
8. What are your parents?
9. What do you usually do after classes?
10.Will you study hard to become a good specialist?
I study at the Kherson State Technical University, the department of Cybernetics. In summer I passed all my exams successfully and my dream to become a student finally came true. But there were many young people who failed their entrance exams. My friend for example failed in mathematics. It wasn’t really his fault, it was just bad luck. He will try again next year.
And now I am going to tell you about my family. My father’s name is Sergei Petrovich, he is 47. He works as a surgeon at a hospital. He is neither old nor young. He is a good-looking man, handsome, rather thin with dark brown hair just beginning to grey. He is a very sociable person. What I don’t like about my dad is that he is always busy. Very often he works overtime. He is a bread-maker in our family. He is fond of going to the country at the weekend, because he enjoys working in the garden. My mother’s name is Galina Nickolayevna. She is 46. She works as a teacher at a nursery school. My mother is rather slim and pretty, she is always elegant and smart. She always has a lot of work to do both school and about the house. I have neither sisters nor brothers. But I have a lot of relatives-grandmothers, grandfathers, great-grandparents and cousins.
I was much interested in physics at school. I studied it at the school physics circle. I was also fond of literature and used to write poems. I didn’t know what to choose: physics or literature. I finished school and began to work on the farm. Then I served in the army. After that I worked as a machine operator at an engineering plant. I worked there for two years and decided to enter the University. It took me rather long to get used to University life. To be quite honest I never knew I was so much behind the others. It will take me months of real hard work to catch up with the fellows. I think I won’t be disappointed.
My lessons usually begin at 8 o’clock and I get up very early because I live far from the University. It takes me an hour to get there in time. Those students who live in the hostel are lucky it take them only a few minutes to get there. I live with my parents in a new comfortable apartment. Our monitor and Trade Union organizer live in the hostel. Now I compare the life at home with my parents and in the hostel.
We do many subjects at the University. Here are some of them: physics, higher mathematics, foreign languages (English, German, French, Spanish ), history of Ukraine. I like the history of our country most of all, because there are still so many facts which I want to know. We take credits and examinations twice a year in January and in June. Our lessons end at 3 o’clock. I usually go home by bus or work in the library or in the physics laboratory. I shall study hard to get education and to become a good specialist. My group-mates and I will try to find time for some enjoyment as well. There will be a sport competition at the end of the term and I hope I shall take part in it.
Exercise 1.Speak on the topic “Student’s Biography”.
(+) V2 (ed); was ,were (+) V(V(e)s); am, is, are (+) will V(am, is, are going to).
( -) did not V
were am, is, are (not)
(?) Did V
Написання українських власних назв за допомогою англійської графіки
А—A a І— Yi (yi) Ф—F f -ай—ai
Б—B b К—K k Х— Kh (kh) -ий—y
В—V v Л—L l Ц—Ts (ts) -ия—ya
Г—G g М—M m Ч—Ch (ch) -ой—oy (i)
Д—D d Н—N n Ш—Sh (sh) -кс—x
Е—E e О—O o Щ—Shch (shch)
Є—Ye (ye) П—P p Ю—Yu (yu)
Ж—Zh (zh) Р—R r Я—Ya (ya)
З—Z z С—S s
И—Y Т—T t
І—I і У— U u
Exercise 2. Fill out the form:
Personal Information Sheet
First name ____________________
Last name ____________________
Date of birth _____________________________________________
(month) ( day ) ( year)
Place of Birth ______________________
Permanent address ________________________________________
Year of leaving ______
Russian Excellent Good Fair
Ukrainian Excellent Good Fair
English Excellent Good Fair
Exercise 3. Role play the situations:
1.You believe that a student must live in the hostel. Life at home with parents makes a person soft, leaves him unprepared for the difficulties of life outside home. Your friend convinces you that living at home has some advantages.
Guide words: not far from the University, a floor with a special reading –room and recreation hall, to gather in the evening, to listen to music, to dance, to enjoy oneself, to study together, to ask somebody for help, to celebrate, difficult to understand.
1. Your friend thinks the examinations will be easy. You disagree with him (her) giving your reasons.
Guide words: I think this subject is your weak point ,to fail in exam, to sit for an exam, to have little time, difficult to learn, difficult to remember, to study together, to study hard.
1. Your friend will leave school next year. He wants to enter the same University where you study. You tell him about the student’s live.
Guide words:entrance exams, to be an applicant for entry, to take a preparatory course, tutorials, instructions, laboratories , to do well, to be good at, to go in for sports, scholarship, to have a good time, to celebrate a holiday .
1.You are on practice at a foreign enterprise. The head of the enterprise is interested in your personality. Tell him about yourself .
1.You ,a Ukrainian student, meet at the Club of International Friendship of your city a foreign student. He asks you about your life, family, childhood.
Guide words: to be born in, to enter the University, to study at the department of, to live at home (in the hostel), parents, to work as, to go in for sport, to attend computer courses.