Л е к с и ч е с к и е у п р а ж н е н и я. Упражнение 1. Переведите на русский язык следующие предложения, содержащие слова одного словообразовательного ряда:
Упражнение 1. Переведите на русский язык следующие предложения, содержащие слова одного словообразовательного ряда:
transmit (v), transmitter (n), transmitting (part.I)
1. Every modern airplane is equipped with a radio transmitter and a radio receiver.
2. The transmitting antenna sent signals in all directions.
3. It was on June 2, 1875, that the first sounds were transmitted by Bell and Watson.
4. The photo image file is small enough to be transmitted to a police car equipped with a portable computer.
precise (a), precisely (adv), precision (n)
1. As the main function of any machine is to do work, it is necessary to state precisely what we mean by this term in science.
2. The spectrograph, although a precision instrument, is of a simple design.
3. That instrument, consisting of two mirrors and a small lens, was the only one certified as precise enough to measure the shape of the mirror.
4. His first measurements were 1000 times more precise than the best previous measurement of gravitational acceleration on a single atom.
locate (v), local (a), locality (n), location (n)
1. A compass can be used to locate the direction at any point of the magnetic lines of force.
2. It is necessary to find some local source of power.
3. The locality of any ship in the air can now easily be found.
4. At the locations of greatest density, galaxies should take shape and create bubbles of ionized hydrogen.
frequency (n), frequently (adv)
1. The number of cycles in a given unit of time is called frequency.
2. It frequently happens that a body may be considered to have several velocities at the same time.
3. Alternating current may be the result of a combination of signals with many frequencies.
originally (adv), origin (n), originate (v)
1. The energy of coal, fuel, oil and even of water power comes originally from the energy of the sun.
2. Now we have to determine the origin of the energy released by radioactive substances.
3. Scientists originally thought of an atom as a sort of closed sphere with a relatively hard shell, rather like a ball bearing.
4. It is the radioactive method originally developed by Hahn and his co-workers.
5. In some cases reflection can explain the origin of colours.
6. The light also loses its uniform polarization and the beam which emerges diverges far more than the original beam.
determine (v), determination (n)
1. The number of protons in a nucleus determines the charge.
2. When we weigh a body it gives us the most exact determination of the actual mass of the body.
3. Dulog and Kim hoped to determine the structure of their molecule by X-ray analysis.
4. If we choose a point on this curve and determine both the static and dynamic resistances, we find that they are usually different.
1. The height indicated by an altimeter is only approximate.
2. The acceleration produced by the force of gravity varies a little at different places on the earth's surface but closely approximates 32.2 ft. per sec.
1. The gas in container presses against the walls of the container with equal force. But the picture changes when there is a hole (отверстие) through which the gas can escape.
2. Historical facts cannot be escaped!
3. The ability of an air particle to escape from the earth's gravitational and magnetic field depends upon its weight, temperature, and some other factors.
1. Atomic disintegration by particles was first detected in 1919.
2. The presence of the ultraviolet light radiations can be de-tected by a photoelectric cell.
3. Nuclear test explosions generate a variety of potentially detectable signals.
Упражнение 2. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на слово ever:
1. All these advances have allowed manufacturers to produce ever-larger machines and to build turbines with longer blades.
2. Modern airplanes develop ever-increasing speed.
3. Have you ever heard the legend of the Chinese Emperor Shan?
4. To overcome these difficulties, theorists have resorted (прибегать) to ever-increasing levels of mathematical sophistication (сложность) and abstraction, as in the recent development of supergravity and superstring theories.
5. A few years ago, for the first time ever, Concorde's radiation alarm sounded.
Упражнение 3. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на выделенные слова:
1. The accomplishment of the experiment was of great importance for our laboratory.
2. Let us see what happens if we close the circuit.
3. Radio waves spread equally in all directions.
4. As man has penetrated higher into the atmosphere, aerial photography has become very important.
5. Hardly anyone can accomplish this work in such a short time.
6. Each time wind speed doubles, the amount of energy it theoretically holds, multiplies by eight times.