Assignment 7. Write out from the text all the sentences where the Infinitive is used and translate them into Russian
Assignment 8. Translate the following sentences paying special attention to the underlined words:
1) The students carried out an experiment looking at the thermometer from time to time.
2) The cinema was invented before my time.
3) It is high time to begin work.
4) Four times three is twelve.
5) “Am I late?” “No, you are just in time.”
6 “What is the time?” “It’s dinner time.”
7 The students went to the club and had a good time there.
8) It took a long time before people learned to split the atoms.
9) I shall be back in no time.
10) For a long time people did not know that lightning and atmospheric electricity are one and the same thing.
11) Lomonosov lectured at the University and at the same time worked in different fields of science.
12) I work in the laboratory two times a week.
Assignment 9. Fill in the blanks with the words oneor for:
1) Moscow is ... of the largest cities in the world.
2) ... must remember that it is necessary to learn English at least an hour a day.
3) As ... rubber it was brought to Europe as early as in the 15th century.
4) ... understands the importance of electricity when ... sees trams, trolley-buses and trains driven by it.
5) The energy of the atom is used ... peaceful purposes in our country.
6) ... must know the chemical properties of the atom.
7) We produce rubber ... it is quite necessary ... the development of our industry.
8) In 1819 Volta returned to Como ... he wanted to spend the rest of his life there.
9) This is a more important problem than that ... .
10) I haven’t got a dictionary, I must have ... .
Assignment 10. Make up sentences according to the model using the verbs given below.
Model: We could not help speaking about the achievements of Soviet physicists.
to answer, to repeat, to mention, to observe, to change, to think, to remember.
Assignment 11. Answer the following questions:
1) What types of electricity do you know?
2) What is the difference between electricity at rest and electricity in motion?
3) What did Franklin prove?
4) What are the two kinds of electrical charges?
5) What can you say about our Russian Academician Petroff?
6) Who was the first to produce a steady, continuous current?
7) What experiments did Galvani carry on?
8) What was Volta?
9) What did Volta take interest in?
10) What did Volta’s discovery result in?
11) What did the Volta device consist of?
12) Where did he spend the rest of his life?
Assignment 12. Make an outline of the text.
Assignment 13. Retell Volta’s biography.
Assignment 1. Remember the following words and word-combinations:
Assignment 2. Practice the pronunciation of the following words:
continuous, theory, subject, to determine, to suppose, circuit, opposite, wire, minute, participle, through, however, liquid, industrial, requirement, to conduct, electrolyte, certain, to suppose, wrong, right, really, to push, i.e., terminal, alternating, to assume, cycle, advantage, ease, voltage, vice versa, transmition, to transmit, to decrease, to require, practice.