Assignment 6. Translate the following sentences paying attention to the verbs
1) The students went on studying properties of that new substance.
2) There are different ways of producing the electric current.
3) We heard of that experiment having been made last week.
4) We know of his starting some laboratory experiment.
5) Working at his new device, the inventor carried out an important research work.
6) An iron bar placed in the field of a magnet becomes magnetized.
7) A long time ago people noticed the attracting ability of the magnet.
8) The pole of the magnet pointing to the North is called the north pole of the magnet, the south pole pointing to the South.
9) The magnet having the north pole and the south pole, we can use it in the compass.
Assignment 7. Translate the following sentences using either the Gerund or the Participle.
1) Расщепляя атомы, человек может получить большое количество энергии.
2) Существуют различные виды электростанций, причем паровые находят широкое применение в нашей стране.
3) Помещая металлический предмет в поле магнита, мы намагничиваем его.
4) Работая в области электричества, ученые внесли большой вклад в науку.
5) Мы знаем о том, Галилей создал первый телескоп в мире.
6) Когда вода падает, энергия превращается из потенциальной в кинетическую.
7) Я слышал о том, что в вашем городе строится атомная станция.
Assignment 8. Fill in the blanks with the following words and expressions:
in the form of, because, because of, to be interested in, to put into operation, as for, to be named after, in question, to turn one’s attention to
1) The discovery ... was made by a well-known Soviet scientist.
2) Moscow University ... Lomonosov.
3) Franklin ... making experiments with atmospheric electricity.
4) ... the electric current, it is used both in industry and in; our homes.
5) The first atomic power plant in the world ... in the USSR in June 1954.
6) Professor Rihman was killed by a stroke of lightning ... he did not think of possible danger.
7) Atom finds a wide application ... its ability of producing heat arid energy.
8) The scientists of the Soviet Union ... the use of nuclear power for peaceful purposes.
Assignment 9. Define the meaning of the following terms:
lightning, lightning conductor, magnetism, refrigerator, generator, motor, turbine.
a) For the names of the countries given in Column I find the names of the nations given in Column II
b) What do you call the people, who live in:
Russia? England? Germany? France? America? Italy? Greece?
Assignment 11. Answer the following questions:
1) Who was familiar with the strange force which is known today as electricity?
2) What three electrical phenomena in the early history of electricity are mentioned in the text?
3) How long did it take before scientists learned how to make use of electricity?
4) What electrically operated devices do we use every day?
5) Who contributed to the scientific research on electricity?
6) What property did amber possess when it was rubbed?
7) What can you say about the origin of the name “electricity”?
8) What countries made their contributions to studying electricity?
9) What Russian scientists do you know working in the field of electricity?
Assignment 12. Speak on:
1) Three electrical phenomena in the early history of electricity.
2) I use electricity every day.
Assignment 13. Make an outline of the text.
Assignment 14. Retell the text.
Assignment 1. Remember the following words and word-combinations:
Assignment 2. Practice the pronunciation of the following words:
poet, enlightener, to satisfy, knowledge, science, age, academy, a peasant, to experience, Germany, to complete, scholarship, nevertheless, academician, natural, language, foreign, international, theory, dissatisfied, useless, unreliable, therefore, to possess, unusual, capacity, extraordinary, useful, educational, various, cultural, numerous, result. achievement, to lecture, to educate, purpose, literature, physics, laboratory, chemistry, to organize, chemical, question, materialist, basis, molecular, law, conservation, invaluable, enlightenment.