Assignment 7. Complete the following sentences using the Gerund
Model: She cannot read English without ... . – She cannot read English without consulting a dictionary.
1) My friend went home instead of ... .
2) The students went on ... .
3) When the teacher entered the classroom the students stopped ... .
4) Have you finished ...?
5) I went to bed after ... .
6) The friends spoke of ... .
7) You must turn the light off before ... .
Assignment 8. Translate the following sentences using the Gerund.
1) Прежде чем делать опыты, необходимо проводить наблюдения.
2) Много лет назад люди научились защищать свои дома от ударов молнии.
3) Существуют различные способы получения электрического тока.
4) Ученые продолжали изучать новое явление.
5) Пирометр используется для измерения температуры горячих металлов.
6) Франклин изобрел громоотвод для защиты зданий от ударов молнии.
7) Ходить пешком очень полезно.
8) Атомный реактор используется для получения энергии.
Assignment 9. Fill in the blanks with suitable verbs, if necessary. Answer the following questions.
1) What ... the earliest manifestation of electricity?
2) What ... the early Scandinavians think about thunderstorms?
3) Who ... burning millions of tons of coal?
4) What property ... Thor’s hammer possess?
5) Who ... invented the lightning conductor?
6) What experiments ... Lomonosov and Rihman make?
7) What device ... constructed by Rihman?
8) Who ... made his kite experiment?
9) Where … Franklin and his son make their kite experiment?
10) What … they use making their experiment?
11) Where … the lightning conductor used now?
Assignment 10. Translate the following sentences paying attention to both, both ... and.
1) The students made two experiments; they were both interesting and useful.
2) Both scientists studied atmospheric electricity.
3) Both of us will work at the University laboratory tomorrow.
4) Both Lomonosov and Rihman were great scientists; both of them studied atmospheric electricity.
5) Both these devices were constructed in Moscow.
6) Electricity is used both in industry and in everyday life.
7) Both nuclear power and solar energy will be widely used in future.
8) Lightning and atmospheric electricity mean one and the same thing: both of them are used in literature.
9) Many scientists and inventors, both Russian and foreign, have greatly contributed to the development and practical application of the electric current.
10) Both chemical energy and mechanical energy can be changed into electricity.
Assignment 11. Fill in the blanks with prepositions.
1) It is dangerous to go ... a stormy day.
2) Lightning is a very great flash ... light resulting ... a discharge ... atmospheric electricity.
3) Protecting buildings ... lightning was the first discovery ... the field ... electricity used ... the good ... mankind.
4) ... thousands ... years people knew nothing ... thunderstorms.
5) Lightning flashes are followed ... thunder which can be heard ... kilometres around.
6) There is always some danger ... a thunderstorm ... a very high building or a man standing ... the open field.
7) It is difficult to see a single drop ... water ... the sea.
8) Some scientists ... the past melted metals ... the help ... solar furnaces.
9) Modern civilization cannot do ... electrical appliances.
10) Electric current is necessary ... the operation ... trolley-buses, buses, and modern trains.
Assignment 12. Translate into Russian:
a) the only son; the only example known; the only method of solving the problem; only you can do it for me; coal is not only a source of heat, but also a source of valuable chemical substances; the letter was sent only yesterday;
b) many students were present; at the present time; the present article; he is in Moscow at present; that is all for the present; good-bye for the present,
Assignment 13. Form five sentences combining suitable parts of the sentences given in columns I and II.
Assignment 14. Describe Franklin’s kite experiment.
Assignment 15. Give a short summary of the text.
Assignment 1. Remember the following words and word-combinations:
Assignment 2. Practice the pronunciation of the following words:
current, iron, own, to call, to pull, among, unfamiliar, discoverer, to possess, use, compass, north, south, scientific, well-known, physicist, various, to prove, earth, reference, astronomer, mathematician, achievement, also, material, to increase, power, to weigh, weight, quite, molecules, minute, to arrange, disorderly, to neutralize, process, magnetization, result, unmagnetized.