Assignment 6. Translate the following sentences
1) Speaking of the electrically operated devices, one can mention the refrigerator.
2) Only when going to the University either on foot or by bicycle the student can do without electricity.
3) The first source of continuous current constructed by Volta appeared in 1800.
4) As for the electric crane, it can easily lift objects weighing hundreds of tons.
5) A good example which is illustrating an important industrial use of the electric current is the electrically heated furnace.
6) Great masses of metal melted in furnaces flow like water.
7) Speaking of the melted metals, we might mention one more device using electricity, that is the electric pyrometer.
8) The pyrometer used in industry is a device measuring temperature.
9) Being widely used in industry, electrical motors are also used in every home.
10) The problem solved helped to increase the speed of the train.
Assignment 7. Translate the following sentences using the Participle.
1) Электрический мотор, преобразующий электрическую энергию в механическую, используется в повседневной жизни.
2) Говоря об электрическом токе, мы можем упомянуть имя Вольта.
3) Электрический пирометр измеряет температуру расплавленных металлов.
4) Работая в лаборатории, студенты также будут пользоваться некоторыми электрическими приборами.
5) Поработав на заводе, мой друг поступил в Университет.
6) Электрические приборы, упомянутые в этой статье, были созданы русскими учеными.
7) Измеряя температуру горячих металлов, студент пользовался пирометром.
8) Измерив температуру металла, мы начали измерять температуру воды.
Assignment 8. Answer the following questions:
1) When was the electric current born?
2) Who constructed the first source of continuous current?
3) What electrical devices do you use in your everyday life?
4) Can you do without electricity? In what cases can you do without electricity?
5) What can you say about the most important use of electric energy in industry?
6) What example illustrates an important industrial use of the electric current?
7) What device measures the temperature of hot flowing metals?
Assignment 9. Fill in the gaps with the words and expressions from the text.
1) In fact, telephones, lifts, electric trams and trains, radio and television have been made possible only owing to the … … .
2) It is well known that electric current is necessary for the … of trolley-buses, trams, buses and modern trains.
3) During the day the student will also use some … … working in the laboratory.
4) Some people are more familiar with the various … of the electric current in their everyday life than they are with its numerous industrial applications.
5) Take, for example, the electric motor … electric energy into … … .
6) A good example which is illustrating an important industrial use of the electric current is the electrically … … .
7) Speaking of the … metals, we might mention one more device using electricity, that is the … … .
Assignment 10. Find the wrong statements and correct them in several sentences.
1) It is impossible to measure the temperature of hot flowing metals.
2) The industrial application of the electric current contributes to the technological progress.
3) We use few electrical devices in our everyday life.
4) Modern civilization can do without the electric current.
5) The electric motor operates all electrical devices.
Assignment 11. Find the correct answer out of the three given below.
1) measures the temperature of hot metals?
a) refrigerator, b) pyrometer, c) motor
2) transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy?
a) bicycle, b) telephone, c) motor
3) lifts objects weighing hundreds of tons?
a) electric crane, b) electric furnace, c) vacuum cleaner
4) lights your room?
a) a tram, b) a lift, c) a lamp.
Assignment 12. Speak on:
1) The use of the electric current in industry.
2) The use of the electric current in our everyday life.
Grammar: The Absolute Participle Construction
Assignment 1. Remember the following words and word-combinations:
Assignment 2. Practice the pronunciation of the following words:
scientifically, various, mechanical, chemical, atomic, kind, potential, hydroelectric station, turbine, thus, other, above-mentioned, source, quantity, civilization, industry, industrial, however, decrease. increase, harness, semiconductor.