Mary has just arrived home from work. Neil is already there
MARY: Hi! I’m back. Sorry I’m late.
NEIL: Hello. What kept you?
MARY: I had to use the ring road and I (1) ……… (stick) in a traffic jam for forty minutes.
NEIL: Why didn’t you use the usual route?
MARY: Because the road (2) …… (close) until work on the access road to the new hospital (3) …… (complete).
NEIL: When is it due to (4) ……………………… (finish)?
MARY: Well, the access road (5) …… (open) by the Mayor next week, according to the newspaper, and the Health Minister (6) …… (invite) to open the hospital on the same day, but they don’t know yet whether she’s definitely coming.
NEIL: A lot of money (7) ……………… (waste) if she doesn’t come.
MARY: Why’s that?
NEIL: Haven’t you seen all those rose bushes that (8) ……… (plant) round the hospital?
MARY: So? They’ll be lovely for the patients.
NEIL: But the patients won’t be able to see them, because they’re round the entrance, and the wards look out in the other direction. A lot of people protested about it, but all their complaints (9) ……… (ignore) until it was too late.
MARY: If they had money to spare, it (10) …….. (spend) on facilities for patients, not on making the front look pretty for the Minister.
NEIL: Absolutely. It’s typical of this local council. They (11) ………….. (elect) to save money, but they do just the opposite.
MARY: Perhaps they (12) ………………… (throw) out at the next election.
NEIL: I hope so. Now, are you ready for supper?
Ex 7. Put all types of questions to the following statements.
1. Our students are offered a wide choice of work all over the country.
2. Listen! An article about American college graduates is being broadcast.
3. Since the Great October Socialist Revolution hundreds of thousands of college graduates have been given work (jobs) in their special fields.
4. Lectures on medical topics are always listened to with great attention.
5. Nowadays much attention is being paid to the problem of bringing science closer to life.
6. The use of the atom in medicine has been much spoken of lately.
Ex 8. You are interested in your groupmates’ interests, studies, their progress at the University, their life as a whole. Ask them 7-8 questions (The use of Passive is obligatory).
Note 4. Иногда в пассивном залоге употребляется вспомогательный глагол “to get” вместо глагола “to be” в разговорной речи. “To get” можно употребить в следующих случаях:
1. когда говорящий имеет в виду, что какое-то событие происходит незапланированно, вдруг, неожиданно.
E.g. Our dog got run over by a car.
My friend got lost in the forest. There was a fight at the party, but nobody got hurt.
(Нельзя употребить “to get” с глаголами, которые не выражают перехода из одного состояния в другое.)
Нельзя!!! Jill is liked by everyone.
Ex 1. Complete the sentences. If possible, use a tense of the verb “to get”, otherwise use the verb “to be”.
1. I never found that book we were looking for. It …… lost when we moved to a new flat.
2. After the way he behaved last time he went to their house it’s unlikely he …… asked there again.
3. Naturally this vase is expensive. After all, it …… believed to be over three hundred years old.
4. I phoned to explain what had happened but I …… cut off before I could finish.
5. There isn’t any cheese left; I’m afraid, it …… eaten by the children.
6. He was a well-known expert on animal diseases and his operations …… greatly respected.
7. The competition is stiff and she’ll be thrilled if her design …… chosen.
8. The book …… torn when the children started fighting over who should read it first.
9. Please don’t touch anything on my desk. You …… employed to answer the telephone, not to tidy the office.
10. She was quite friendly at first, then she …… promoted and now she doesn’t care about us any more.
Note 5. The use of the Passive Voice after modal verbs.
После модальных глаголов для выражения страдательного залога употребляются формы инфинитива в Passive Voice: to be + V3.
E.g. The situation is serious. Something must be done before it’s too late.
A mystery is something that can’t be explained.
The music could be heard from a long way away.
I haven’t received the letter yet. It might have been sent to the wrong address.
The room should have been cleaned.
Ex 1. Complete the sentences with one of the following verbs (in the correct form):
carry cause do make repair send spend wake up
Sometimes you need have (might have, could have etc.)
1. The situation is serious. Something must …be done … before it’s too late.
2. I haven’t received the letter. It might … have been sent … to the wrong address.
3. A decision will not …… until the next meeting.
4. I told the hotel receptionist that I wanted to …… at 6:30 the next morning.
5. Do you think that less money should …… on armaments?
6. This road is in very bad condition. It should …… a long time ago.
7. The injured man couldn’t walk and had to …… .
8. It’s not certain how the fire started but it might …… by an electric fault.