It takes me Е minutes (hours, days, etc.) to do something
Oral topic: our university
Exercise 1. «апомните следующие слова:
Exercise 2. ѕрочитайте слова. ќбратите внимание на орфографию слов латино-греческого происхождени€. ѕереведите их.
Pharmacy [′fαmәsı], pharmaceutical [,fα:mә′sju:tıkl], medicine [′medısın], medical [′medıkl], laboratory [lә′bɔrәtәrı], student ['stju:dənt], professor [prə'fesə], institution [,ɪnstɪ'tju:ʃən], department [dɪ'pɑ:tmənt], general ['ʤenərəl], education [,edju:keɪʃən], instructor [ɪn'strʌktə], stomatology [,stɔmə'tɔləʤɪ], specialist ['speʃəlɪst], university [,ju:nɪ'və:sɪtɪ], organize ['ɔ:gənaɪz], organization [,ɔ:gənaɪ'zeɪʃən], lecture ['lekʧə], clinic ['klɪnɪk], control [kən'trəul], diagnostic [,daɪəg'nɔstɪk], provisor [prə′vaızə], academician [ə,kædə'mɪʃən], clinic ['klɪnɪk], doctor ['dɔktə], rector ['rektə], assistant [ə'sɪstənt], guide [gaɪd], analytical [әnә′lıtıkәl].
Exercise 3.ќбразуйте новые слова и переведите их.
1) The nouns by adding -er (-or): to train, to instruct, to teach, to work, to demonstrate, to read.
2) The adjectives by adding -al: industry, pharmacy, stomatology, education, experiment, practice clinic, medicine, analysis, recreation.
3) The families of the words: to arrange, arrangement; to teach, teacher; to instruct, instruction, instructor; to prepare, preparation, preparatory; stomatology, stomatological, stomatologist; medicine, medical, medicinal; to head, a head; to guide, a guide, guidance; to practise, practice, practical, practically; to educate, education, educational; skill, skillful, skillfully; science, scientific, scientist.
Exercise 4. «апомните следующие фразы и найдите их соответстви€:
Exercise 5. ѕереведите следующие словосочетани€:
Medical educational establishment; regional hospital; pharmaceutical education; to be awarded the Order of PeoplesТ Friendship; day-time and correspondence department; to train the specialists in Е; Public Health Service; to have a rich experience; a member of the Association of higher and continuous education; spacious lecture halls; well-equipped laboratory; scientific-research laboratory; educative-industrial pharmacy; theoretical knowledge and practical skills; highly-skilled teachers; the teaching staff; academic affairs, research and administrative work; teach, instruct and guide students; educational process; educational and scientific books.
Exercise 6. »зучите примеры, обратив внимание на употребление следующих глаголов:
To learn = to get knowledge of some subject or skill in some activity Ц учить, выучить.
He learns typing at school.
She learnt to read when she was 5.
You should learn the poem by heart.
To study = to gain knowledge, it refers only to knowledge, not skills or abilities Ц изучать, учитьс€.
He studies at Princeton.
BUT: He goes to school.
He is a first Ц year student.
He learns English at school.
To do/ to get on well = to be a bright student Ц хорошо учитьс€.
How is he getting on at school?
He is doing well at school.
To teach = to give a person knowledge, to give lessons Ц преподавать, обучать.
He teaches for a living.
Who teaches you English? = Who do you have for English?
To train = to give teaching and practice, usually for a particular job or skills Ц готовить, обучать, тренировать.
College of education trains 200 teachers a year.
She is a trained typist.
To instruct = to teach a practical skill.
Mr. Smith instructs them how to drive.
Education (general), training (more practical), tuition (refers to costs) Ц обучение, подготовка.
Tuition fee is rather high.
Exercise 7. «аполните пропуски соответствующими глаголами:
1. Is he Е well at school? 2. He Е to high school. 3. He is a first Е student. 4. The Е is smaller at state universities. 5. They Е girls to be pharmacists. 6. Higher Е in US is rather expensive. 7. Mr. Bell Е me how to ride a horse. 8. She went to France for a year to Е French there. 9. Who do you Е for physics? 10. When did you Е to swim? 11. We Е math every day. 12 He is a Е driver. 13. You may get vocational Е at special colleges. 14 The most famous professors Е at Yale. 15. ItТs very difficult to Е and work at the same time.
Mind that questions like that are not asked to get information but are used to express your reaction to what has been said. Such questions are called echo questions. In particular, they may show your interest, surprise, etc.
- Human nature is much the same everywhere.
- Is it?
* * * *
Young men are often obstinate
- Are they?
* * * *
- One should be prepared to take risks sometimes.
- Should he?
Respond to the statements.
1. You are almost half an hour late.
2. Mary may keep the book for seven days.
3. The only place to work in piece is the library.
4. Julia was absent from her last English class.
5. It is up to you to decide.
6. All of them were in a very nervous state.
7. There is something to talk about.
8. You will speak first.
Respond to the negative statements.
- I wouldnТt miss your party for the world.
- WouldnТt you?
* * * *
- You canТt help it.
- CanТt I?
* * * *
- There is not any evidence.
- IsnТt there?
Mind contractions: isnТt (is not), arenТt (are not), wasnТt (was not), werenТt (were not), canТt (can not), couldnТt (could not), wonТt (will not), shanТt (shall not), wouldnТt (would not), shouldnТt (should not), mightnТt (might not), mustnТt (must not), neednТt (need not).
1. The children were not in the room.
2. Their methods are not correct.
3. ItТs not up to me to decide.
4. He wasnТt speaking for all of us.
5. Joe will not write any notes in textbooks.
6. You shall not make remarks tike those.
7. You must not interfere.
8. They neednТt worry.
9. IТm not very fond of staying in other peopleТs houses.
Exercise 1. Remember the pattern.
It takes me Е minutes (hours, days, etc.) to do something.